Pink Bean Soup
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1 lb pink beans
- 3 -5 slices bacon
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 3⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 -12 ounces ham hocks
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 quarts water
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the beans, checking for stones and debris.
- Soak beans overnight.
- Saute bacon until crisp, drain.
- Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic to bacon grease.
- Saute 5-10minutes.
- Drain beans.
- Put in bean soup pot along with carrots, celery, onions and garlic.
- Add the cooked bacon.
- Add the ham hock, tomato sauce and water.
- Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 2 1/2 hours until beans are soft.
- Remove the ham hock and pull the meat from the bone.
- Chop and return meat to the soup.
- Remove 1/4th to 1/3rd of the beans, mash or puree.
- Return to pot and simmer another 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Skim off unwanted grease.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Join The Conversation
Well...I made used these small pink beans for chili....they were the ones i had in my pantry......I boiled the beans......cooked bacon and ground beef....chopped an onion, squashed 2 cloves of garlic, added the salt, pepper, oregano, and added the chili seasonings.....I did not have a can of diced tomato, so I added 1 can of tomatoe sauce......too acidic.....so, I added 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. And 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon!! Omg.....very, very, yummy!!! The cinnamon gives it a little kick of flavor that you would not expect!!! Delishious!!!!