Pineapple & Sausage Fried Rice
photo by Genius Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 1 medium ripe pineapple, halved through the stem
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 links Chinese sausage, sliced into 1/4 -inch rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 4 scallions, white parts finely chopped and greens sliced thin
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot, thawed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced small
- 3 cups cooked medium grain rice
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- Use a small sharp knife to cut around the edge of each pineapple half, then scoop the pineapple flesh from the halves. Discard the core and chop the fruit into small pieces. You will have about 1 1/2 cups fruit. Set aside and place pineapple halves on a plate or platter.
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the peas, carrots and red bell pepper and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger and scallion whites and cook 1 more minute, then transfer to a medium bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Place skillet back over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and saute the sliced sausage until slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables with a slotted spoon.
- Return the skillet to medium high heat, add the rice and flatten in an even layer. Cook undisturbed to allow the bottom to crisp slightly, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the cooked sausage and vegetables, 3/4 cup chopped pineapple and season with salt and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes then stir in the sauce to combine.
- Push the rice to the sides and make a well in the center. Add about 1/2 tablespoon oil to the well and pour in the eggs. Scramble the eggs then stir to combine with ingredients in the pan.
- Spoon rice mixture into Pineapple halves and garnish with remaining chopped pineapple and sliced scallion greens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!