Pina Colada Angel Food Cake - Ww Points = 5
Yeah! My new Weight Watchers Magazine just arrived!! This is going to be the 1st of the many new recipes that I try...
- Ready In:
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (or vanilla extract if you don't have rum extract)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded, toasted
- Place an oven rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift the flour and salt in a bowl. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beat in the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form. Beat in the coconut extract.
- Sift one third of the flour mixture over the egg-white mixture and, with a large rubber spatula, gently fold in just until blended. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture, one third at a time, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Scrape the batter into an angel food cake pan; spread evenly. Immediately place in the oven and bake until the cake springs back when touched lightly, 35-40 minutes. Invert the pan on the neck of a funnel or bottle and let cool completely. To loosen, run a thin-bladed knife around the sides of the pan and around the center tube. Unmold the cake on a serving plate. If making ahead, wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- To make the glaze: whisk the confectioners sugar, pineapple juice and rum extract in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle evenly over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the shredded coconut.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION