Pico De Gallo from the Garden for a Crowd
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 8 cups tomatoes, seeded, chopped and drained
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped fine (more to taste)
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped fine
- 4 scallions, chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper, small, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped fine
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 limes, juiced (use the zest from one lime as an add-in)
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- Prepare tomatoes and let drain while you chop the rest of the ingredients. I cut everything by hand the first time and got a backache so use your food processor if you have one.
- Mix in a large bowl with a wooden spoon and pour into plastic containers. Do not process - this is a fresh salsa.
- Store in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is good! I did not have parsley, just dried cilantro flakes so I did soak them in a little water mixed with some ground cumin. I saved the reserved tomato juice for another dish also. Easy. I do use limes and the juice of limes in many recipes. I liked the use of the brown sugar and especially the taste! Thanks for posting.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello Zaars and Zaarinas! Thank all of you who tried my 'memory' recipes and left such nice reviews and for taking such lovely pictures. I do appreciate your comments. My pet peeves about cooking are recipe reviews where the reviewer says, "I made the recipe exactly as written EXCEPT yada yada yada" and I don't like suggestive names or titles such as, "Better Than Sex". I don't know why anyone would eat anything that is 'sinful' or 'decadent' since decadent is described as being decaying. Also, PAP-RI-KA only has 3 syllables. VINAIGRETTE is pronounced vin-a-grette, not vinager-ette. It's mas-car-pone not mars-ca-pone. And I don't like cutesy adult baby talk,,, or metro chic names like delish, nutrish, yummo, sammy, BAM! Oh well, I make as many, or more, faux pas as the next guy especially in ASL! Things that crack me up are: DH Fred from youtube.com Nick, my nephew Fish and Poi song as performed by PoiBoi My possum recipe per the song on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVvL4-srt6U http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpbyM8k7e2Q wow this is good! my Doggie Little Yellow Petey Bird on youtube My BFF's. all of them and there are so many! and my little Sister Mary Beth. She has MS and Lupus and a great attitude. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg">