Tasty Pickled Jalapenos
These are wonderful Pickled Jalapenos I got off the pepperfool website. This is the recipe I always seem to use when pickling my peppers from my garden. I don't ever put pickled peppers in a boiling water bath because it makes them all mushy. As long as you sterilize your jars and lids really good and make sure your vinegar solution is really hot when you put it in your jars it will seal your jars.
- Ready In:
- 15 lbs blemish-free whole fresh jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 10 small white onions, sliced,separated into rings
- 5 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano, pref. mexican
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups distilled water
- Scrub jalapenos, trimming off the stem.
- Set aside.
- Into a large, deep heavy pot, pour 1/2 cup oil (enough to coat the bottom of pot).
- Heat oil until almost smoking, then turn off or reduce the heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and carrots.
- Stir only until onions are clear, don't brown any of the vegetables.
- Add oregano, bay leaves and salt and stir to mix.
- Add vinegar and water and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Continue to boil and stir until salt is dissolved, then add remaining 1-1/2 cups of oil and return to a boil.
- Stir in jalapenos and remove from heat.
- Fill 16-20 hot, sterilized 1-pint jars (or 8-10 1-quart jars) leaving 1-1/2 inches of head space.
- Wipe rims clean, then seal jars tightly.
- Cool jars, then store in cool dry place until ready to use.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Geez I have to apologize to Sheri for not rating this sooner! I actually made this recipe last summer and opened a jar today, I thought I had already reviewed it last year! when I went to print it today I noticed that I had forgotten to review it! I have to agree with Susie in Texas this *IS* one of the better recipes for pickled jalapeno, not much changes here except if my memory serves me right I think I did increase the garlic slightly, I am growning jalapenos in my garden again this summer and look forward to making this once again, we loved this recipe, thanks hon!...Kitten:)
Thank you, and my mother thanks you also. She will only eat the ones like Goya, pickled in the cans and with a little oil, and these are even better.So pretty in the jars too, and I love that they retain some texture, as the Goya are mushy.I will use this exclusively as my Pickled Jalapeno recipe, and cannot wait till my peppers are ready to be picked.