Pickled Cucumelon, Mexican Sour Gherkin
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
2 half pints
- 1⁄8 cup canning salt
- 2 cups mexican sour gherkins, cucamelon or 2 cups mouse melon, blossom end removed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon negilla seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon epazote
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄8 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 chili peppers, scored
- 2 raspberry leaves (or oak leaves)
- Place cucamelon in a small bowl sprinkle with salt and top with ice cold water chill for 2 hours.
- Rinse and drain.
- Heat water, wine vinegar seeds turmeric, epazote and honey to a boil in a nonreactive saucepan. Remove from heat.
- To your sterilized jars, add raspberry leaves and cilantro, mouse melons, garlic and chili`s. Top with hot brine and seal in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Give it a couple days for flavors to meld. Or save for entertaining. Serve along side olives with cute toothpicks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!