Pickled Beets (Cwikla)
- Ready In:
- 3 cups sliced cooked fresh beets or 3 cups canned beets
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish or 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 8 whole cloves or 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Layer beets and onions in a glass or earthenware bowl, sprinkling layers with horseradish and cloves.
- Boil vinegar with sugar and salt 2 minutes.
- Pour over the beets.
- Cover; refrigerate 24 hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Thanks for a great recipe. Unlike a lot of pickled beets, these weren't too sweet. I opted for caraway seeds, rather than cloves. I didn't have any white vinegar on hand, so I used 1 cup sherry vinegar and 1 cup rice vinegar. And I upped the sugar to 2 Tbsp because I find sherry vinegar pretty pungent. I'll make it that way again next time. I prepared the pickles the day before we ate them and was worried that wouldn't give them enough time for their flavors to meld, but they tasted great.
This is wonderful cwikla! Made as directed, but used a combo of white balsamic and red wine vinegar, a touch more sugar, and both cloves and caraway. It was a hit at the Polish birthday party I attended this past Saturday and it will replace my former favorite. Can't wait to try when the fresh beets become available locally. I'm definitely going to make your Potato and Beet Salad, as well. Thanks so much for all of your wonderful Polish recipes!