photo by P.Q. Butterfat
- Ready In:
- Bring the water, vinegar, and salt to a boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove all the cloves from the pickling spice (or as much as you can).
- Wrap the remaining spice in a cheese cloth or tea holder and hang in the vinegar mixture.
- Break off the ends of the asparagus and blanch for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, then plunge into ice water.
- Place 1 garlic clove and 1 pepper into each quart jar. Pack the asparagus into the jars standing on end, then pour the vinegar mixture into the jars making sure its very hot at the time to ensure a good seal on the jars.
- Wipe rims, place lids and screw on bands fingertip-tight.
- Process in a boiling water bath for ten minutes.
- Store in pantry for 2-1/2 to 3 months before use.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent recipe!!! I made 2 quarts as posted. I added 2 tbsps sugar to the remaining liquid and left the peppers out of the other 2 quarts. I also did a BWB for 20 mins, just to be safe!! I left them to sit for 3 months and they were perfect. The 2 made to recipe were perfectly spiced for my DH, the other 2 were perfectly sweet for me :) :) As soon as asparagus comes into season I will be making a few batches of each. Thanks for the great recipe!!!
I made two cases of these pickled asparagus last summer and gave them to my family members for x-mas presents. They are all begging me for more and putting in orders left and right! Looks like I'll be making more cases this summer. Excellent taste. Easy recipe. Asperagus turn out superbe! Taste is spicy and rich, but not too hot.Excellent for just finger-food eating or was great in a bloody mary drink. Really, they taste so good you could eat the whole jar by yourself!!!!!!! thank you from me and my whole family L Roth
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have 6 children 4 boys and 2 girl,ilove to cook and try lots of different foods,my real name is Britt and i live in louisiana i like to collect recipes,cookbooks,dolls,and angels,i just started having a intrest in teacups and teapots,i also like amish rag dolls.