Phenomenal German Potato Salad With Fresh Dill Pickle
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- salt and pepper
- 3 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup coarse grain mustard
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- Fresh Cucumber: Stir sugar, cucumber, ½ cup vinegar, dill, and ½ teaspoon salt together in bowl; set aside while preparing potatoes.
- Bring potatoes, remaining vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and 8 cups water to boil in large pot. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to pot.
- Dressing: Meanwhile, fry bacon in large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, 8 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate; pour off and discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Add onion and oil to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until onion is softened and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Drain cucumbers and reserve juice, set brined cucumber aside. Whisk cucumber juice, mustard, and 1 teaspoon pepper into skillet; bring to simmer.
- Pour dressing over warm potatoes, stir to combine, and let sit until slightly cooled and potatoes have absorbed dressing, about 10 minutes.
- Assemble Salad: Stir parsley, drained cucumbers, and bacon into potatoes to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and serve. (Salad can be refrigerated in airtight container for 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!