Pheasant With Wild Rice
This has always been our recipe of choice when it's time to Pheasant hunt. Now with Zaar! there are lots for us to choose from. Thought I would pass on another recipe. Please try it! I think you'll also love to make it during Bird Season! It's like who has only one chicken recipe!!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) pheasants, dressed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- Cut pheasant into quarters.
- Dredge pieces in flour.
- Melt butter in oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pheasant, and cook until browned on both sides, turning once.
- Add onion and next 7 ingredients.
- Put oven-safe skillet in oven.
- Bake, covered, at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Remove pheasant from skillet, and keep warm.
- Cook pan drippings in skillet over medium-high heat until reduced to 2 cups.
- Serve with pheasant and rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This recipe was amazing, it was my first time trying pheasant (my husband and hunting dogs brought it home) and I was extremely impressed. Another good hint--store wild pheasant in fridge in bag with a little bit of milk for 36 hours before cooking, the milk breaks down the proteins and makes the meat tender. I cooked it for only about 45 minutes and it was done, and it wasn't instantly clear to me that the skillet goes directly from the stove to the oven, I had to read it several times. So glad we decided to do this one, we'll be having pheasant as much as possible now!