Phad Phrik Khing Muu (Red Curry With Pork Belly and Green Beans)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe is from a restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 12 dried puya chilies or 12 dried New Mexico chiles, stemmed roughly chopped
- 8 dried Thai red chili peppers or 8 dried arbol chiles, stemmed roughly chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup small dried shrimp, rinsed drained
- 2 tablespoons cilantro stems, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 6 small asian shallots or 2 medium regular shallots, roughly chopped
- 6 stalks lemongrass, trimmed thinly sliced
- 1 piece ginger, peeled thinly sliced (4 inches)
- 1 piece galangal, peeled thinly sliced (2 inches)
- 1⁄2 lb skin-on pork belly
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (Tiparos brand recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pickled green peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated palm sugar
- 5 fresh kaffir lime leaves or 5 frozen kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn
- 6 fresh Thai green chili, stemmed halved
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and grated (3 inches)
- 2⁄3 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 lb long beans or 1/2 lb regular green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- Bring pork and 6 cups water to a boil in a 4 qt saucepan over high heat. Cook until pork is tender (45 minutes). Transfer pork to an ice bath. Drain, dry completely, and discard skin. Cut pork into 1 inch pieces about 1/2 inch thick and set aside.
- While cooking the pork belly, place chiles in a bowl and cover with 2 cups boiling water. Let sit until soft (15 minutes). Drain chiles, reserving 5 tbsp liquid.
- Place chiles in a small food processor with dried shrimp, cilantro root, salt, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, ginger and galangal. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add reserved liquid and puree until smooth. Set 1/2 cup aside and refrigerate remaining paste for future use (up to 2 weeks).
- Heat a 12 inch skillet or 13 inch wok over medium-high heat and add pork pieces. Cook, turning as needed, until browned on all sides and fat is rendered (12 minutes). Add garlic and cook until beginning to brown (1–2 minutes). Stir in the 1/2 cup curry paste.
- Cook, stirring, until fragrant (1–2 minutes). Add fish sauce, peppercorns, palm sugar, lime leaves, chiles, ginger and 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil. Add beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (15 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in basil. Serve with jasmine rice on the side.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION