Pesto Chicken Puff Pasties
photo by Shuzbud
- Ready In:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Dice the chicken into half-inch cubes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the chicken and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove from the heat.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets and cut each in half (cut the shortest distance through the middle so you are left with two short, fat rectangles not long thin ones).
- Add the pesto sauce and tomatoes to the chicken and stir to mix.
- Spoon equal amounts of the chicken mixture onto the pastry sheets, covering half of each sheet but leaving a gap at the edge to seal the pastry.
- Top the chicken mixture with the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Beat the egg. Brush egg around the inside edge of each pasty then fold the pastry over to seal. Crimp with a fork to reinforce the seal.
- Brush each pasty with the beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes (mine take closer to 20) until the pastry is golden.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Made this last night - had everything on hand and didn't have to go out. Plus we are eating from the freezer. Made a few changes - I soaked sundried tomatoes to soften and plump instead of the fresh tomatoes - it is what I had on hand. The other change I made was to bake it at a higher temperature - 400 degrees - the pastry was not browning to my liking. To answer my question below, I did not make them smaller I just used a pizza cutter to cut smaller portions. My husband and I enjoyed it and will be experimenting with other fillings.
Though this did not do wonders for a diet I am on.. made for luch for the 4 of us, and we loved it. I only had a 1/2 cup mozzerella cheese, so I added a 1/4 cup cheddar cheese to the mozzerella and mixed it up. I did not pre cook the chicken, though I did microwave the chicken for a minute and a half, just to warm it up a little. A very nice recipe. Thanks for posting this. Made for Pick A chef 2012.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a primary school teacher living in Bristol, England. At the moment I teach Kindergarten, known here as Reception. I really love my job but it doesn't leave much time for hobbies! I enjoy cooking for friends and aim to try new recipes as often as possible! My signature dish has to be White Chocolate Blondies, as it is my most requested sweet treat, and I definitely have a sweet tooth! Update- 5-5-09: Somebody was very thoughtful and gave me the gift of a premium membership. I can honestly say it made me feel so good! If you're out there, THANK YOU so much! I can't quite believe the generosity... <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"X> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/holidayprmr2.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7505/mybanner4a394ee84d5f0.jpg" > <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">