Pesche - Italian Peaches Cookies
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 (6 ounce) package of chocolate pudding made with homogenized milk
- 1 (6 ounce) package of vanilla pudding made with homogenized milk
- 1⁄2 cup water, and 1-2 tsp almond extract in each of two bowls
- red and yellow food coloring
- white sugar (regular or berry sugar)
- cupcake, papers
- No need for a mixer - just cream butter and sugar with a wooden spoon, add eggs, continue to cream and then add lemon juice. Add almond extract (the amount is negotiable, and I tend to add a little bit more because I like mine very almondy). Combine baking powder with 3 cups of flour and add to slowly to creamed ingredients -- mix only with your hands! Add the rest of the flour until dough is not sticky. It takes some practice to get the texture perfect. You may have to add a little more flour to get it just right. You do not want it to be too greasy as the cookies will not rise well.
- Roll cookies into balls with about 1 tbsp worth of dough. Bake cookies at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes -- watch until start to turn golden. Let cookies cool fully (sometimes I cook them the night before and let them sit out to dry). When cool, carve insides out to make room for pudding.
- Make two bowls of water and vanilla extract. Add yellow food coloring to one and red and yellow to other. Add just a few drops as you just want a light coloring. Have another small bowl of sugar ready for dipping.
- Fill one cookie with chocolate pudding and one with vanilla pudding and stick together. Dip "peach" half way into one colored water and then walf into the other. Sprinkle or dip in sugar (don't go overboard on sugar, you just need a little sprinkle as a finishing touch). Put in cupcake paper and freeze immediately. Take out and that when needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!