Perogies Casserole - Meal in One
photo by Nicole M.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 kg potato & cheese pierogi (cheddar)
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby carrots, cleaned
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 banana peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets, raw
- 1 cup cauliflower floret, raw
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- bacon bits (optional)
- Pop the perogies into boiling salted water; stir so they do not stick to the bottom of the pot; bring back to a boil and when they float to the top, add the carrots to the pot. Allow to cook for 5 minutes longer Drain carrots and perogies.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet, add 1 tsp oil and saute the onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent. Add the peppers and saute another two minutes.
- Mix the perogies and onion mixture together.
- Pour into a lightly oiled large casserole dish (9"x14"x3").
- Arrange the tomatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower artistically on top of the perogies.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake a further 15 minutes, allowing the cheese to slightly brown.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and, if you wish, bacon bits. Just let everyone add their own at the table.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Awesome! I omitted the hot peppers and added green peppers. (I have small children) What a great way to incorporate as many veggies as you want into a" not so healthy" meal! We ate half the amount of perogies that we normally would and got in those veggies that we sometimes lack!! Thanks for a great alternative recipe!! will make many times in the future!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
On January 10 2010 I will celebrate 9 years of Life with Zaar. I can't imagine being without it! It has become part of my daily routine. I feel very privileged to be one of the hosts on the Photo Forum. Taking photos of my culinary efforts is a full time hobby and I love it. My friends all know what to expect when they come to dinner "Are you finished taking pictures?" or "Did you get a photo of so & so?" I never let them wait too long and the food is NEVER cold! I now have over 6000 photos on Zaar - some fairly good and some definitely not so good. I am happy to say that practice does help. My roots are in Vancouver BC Canada - a very beautiful city that holds many wonderful memories for me. In 1990, I decided that for my retirement years I may want to settle in a smaller community and found a slice of heaven in the North Okanagan B.C. I love living here but every once in a while I miss the bright city lights, the Broadway shows and some of the small wonderful ethnic restaurants that Vancouver abounds in. That is easily resolved. I just take a trip to the coast, visit with friends for a weekend see a show and feast on Dim Sum or other specialty foods. I am getting a bit long in the tooth but was a very adventurous person. I have river rafted Hell's Gate on the Fraser river, been up in a glider over Hawaii (no not a Hang Glider!), gone hot air ballooning in the Napa Valley & the Fraser Valley, driven dune buggies on the dunes in Oregon, Para sailing in Mexico and tried many other adventurous, challenging, fun things. I have yet to try bungee jumping or sky diving. I may do them yet. I love to travel and experience other cultures. Mexco has been a favorite haunt. I have visited that lovely country many many times. Australia is another favorite as is England! In the past 16 months I have taken off 61 pounds and feel wonderful. I am off all medications and all systems are GO! In years I may be 79 but in spirit I am still in my forties. We are only as old as we allow ourselves to feel. Always think positive. Do something a bit challenging every day & always do something silly every day. Be a kid again! Laugh every day - it is internal jogging. Here are a few of my photos <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" allowFullscreen="true" src="http://w615.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/Bergylicious/ABM slideshow/d95d7a18.pbw" height="360" width="480">