Perfectly Cooked Salmon With 2 Fruit Slaw
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk, plus 1-2 tablespoons if needed
- 4 medium beets, peeled and cut into eighths
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 6 ounces kumquats, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄2 white cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup pepitas
- 4 (6 ounce) skin-on salmon fillets
- 4 lemon wedges
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped Italian parsley (garnish)
- kosher salt
- To make cashew cheese, in a medium bowl, combine the cashews with 1 cup of water and allow to soak for 2 hours. Drain and add cashews to a blender with goats cheese and coconut milk. Blitz until smooth, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F, or 190°C Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread beets on top evenly. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and scatter thyme over. Roast for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Keep oven on for salmon.
- In a medium bowl, combine the kumquats, pomegranate seeds and cabbage. In a medium saute pan over low heat, toast the pepitas (without oil) for 3-4 minutes or until they start to toast and have a nutty aroma. Let cool slightly, then add into the cabbage bowl. Drizzle in 1 tablespoon olive oil, season to taste with salt and set aside.
- Season the salmon filets with salt. Heat a medium non-stick oven safe frying pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pan and cook the salmon, skin side down, on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until skin is crispy. Turn salmon over and transfer to the oven to finish cooking for a further 3 minutes until salmon is cooked through.
- To serve, smear a dollop of the cashew cheese on the plate then place 4 beet pieces among the cheese before topping with a spoonful of the slaw. Plate the salmon and finish with a squeeze of lemon and chopped parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!