Perfect Crispy Rice Cereal Treats (Fruit Flavored)
photo by Health-Minded Chef
- Ready In:
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 4 cups marshmallows (fruit flavored mini marshmallows)
- 1⁄4 cup marshmallows (plain mini marshmallows)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Take a pan or baking dish approximately 13x 9 x2 inch size.
- Lay aluminum foil (or parchment paper or waxed paper) across your pan leaving the ends folded over the edges to to work as handles for when removing your crispy rice cereal treats when finished.
- Spray inside pan (including lining) with non-fat cooking spray.
- Use a large heavy saucepan to melt the butter over LOW HEAT for 2 minutes.
- Add half of the marshmallows and stir constantly over LOW HEAT to melt them. Be careful not to let them stick or burn to the bottom of the pan. It is essential that you do not rush this step!
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add to the pan half of the crispy rice cereal, then the other half of the marshmallows, and finally the other half of the crispy rice cereal.
- Stir gently but quickly with buttered or silicone spatula.
- Pour crispy rice mixture into prepared pan.
- Using waxed paper or buttered spatula or disposal gloves sprayed with cooking spray, firmly press the hot cookie mixture into the pan (the gloves truly work the best).
- Let crispy rice cereal mixutre cool until firm (approximately 45 minutes).
- Turn treats out of pan, peel off foil/paper and cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container.
- TIp: Although I substitute low-fat and low-calorie products for almost everything that I make, this dish definitely turns out best using real butter, and premium quality marshmallows.
- Tip: If fruit flavored is not your thing, but chocolate and/or peanut butter is, you can substitute the fruit flavored marshmallows with plain mini-marshmallows and then add 3/4 cup of smooth peanut butter and/or 3/4 cups of chocolate chips when adding the second half of the marshmallows.
- Tip To speed up cooling place in freezer 15 minutes.
- Tip: Will last 2 days at room temperature or 6 weeks in the freezer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!