Perfect Apple Pie!
photo by BussBoss2
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 double crust pie crust (for a 10 inch deep-dish pie, my butter pie crust Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust works great for this or use your fav)
- 8 tart green apples, peeled, cored and cut into no larger than 1/2-inch slices (use Granny Smith or Pippin apples for this only)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or juice of half lemon)
- 1 cup sugar (if you prefer a sweeter filling increase the sugar by a couple tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (no subs)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar (preferably coarse sugar)
- Prepare a double pie crust as directed.
- Roll out one disk on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle and place the pastry in the pie plate.
- Gently press the dough into sides pie plate leaving an overhang of crust.
- Refrigerate while preparing the apple filling.
- Set oven rack to the second-lowest position and heat to 425 degrees.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into 1/2-inch slices (no larger than 1/2-inch).
- Place in a bowl and gently toss the apples with the fresh lemon juice.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg (if using).
- Add the sugar mixture to the apples and toss well to coat.
- Transfer the apple mixture into the chilled prepared crust and mound the apples slightly in the center.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Roll out the second pastry, and place over filling.
- Flute the edges together.
- Make several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape (if the pie dough is too soft, place in the freezer for 10 minutes).
- Whisk an egg white with a fork, and brush onto top of crust.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a cookie sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees (leave the pie in the oven and do not open the oven door) continue baking for about another 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is deep golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool for at least 4 hours before slicing the pie.
- TO MAKE PIE WITH CRUMB TOPPING: in a bowl combine 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon; mix well with a spoon.
- Add in 1/2 cup COLD butter (no subs) cut into small chunks and mix together with your fingers to combine well.
- Add in some chopped walnuts if desired.
- Place in the fridge while preparing the pie.
- Make the pie filling exactly as directed, and dot with 2-3 tablespoons of butter before sprinkling on the topping.
- Bake as directed, but cover with foil the least 15 minutes of baking.
I made this pie using Gala apples even though you warned against it. The pie was perfect just like you named it. My apples did not get mushy. The taste was superb and it looked beautiful to boot! I used Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flakey Pie/Crust. I will be using your recipes often. Thanks for sharing!
I made a couple of alterations, but the pie was perfect according to my husband! I used spartan apples so cut the sugars down by half; I used 2 tbsp of flour, 1/2 tsp of nutmeg and no salt as the butter is salted that I use. Everything else followed the recipe exactly, and I used Kittencal's pie crust#66929 - awesome!! Thanks for posting this original recipe Kittencal!