Perfect (And Easy!) Shortbread
photo by DearMissDear
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup icing or 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter
- Sift together the cornstarch, icing (powdered) sugar and flour.
- Blend in butter until a soft smooth dough forms.
- Shape into 1" balls and chill 30 -60 minutes.
- Place 1 1/2" apart on a cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a floured fork. (omit if throwing sprinkles on, and/or don't like fork flattened shortbread - I don't and it still comes out just fine)
- Bake 300' for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool. Watch that they don't brown, you want to pull them out while they still look a smidge underdone - the idea is that they do not brown on the bottom.
Questions & Replies
I tried this recipe yesterday - I found it very sweet and catchy in the throat. Had a hard time mixing softened butter What am I doing wrong?. A friend says she uses margarine instead of butter. Always comes out perfect. Would like to give it another try but will wait till someone can help me with this. Thanks - Joan
For me, this is the shortbread of my childhood and the ONLY shortbread I ever make. Making it with my kids brings back wonderful memories of learning to bake by my mom's side. A tradition in my family for over 50 years! I advise using an oven thermometer if the accuracy of your oven is questionable. They should be snowy white on top and barely golden on the bottom. Ensure the dough is well chilled to ensure it doesn't bake with a "puddle" shape around the edges. Tender, melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness!