Peppered Country Gravy
photo by Outta Here
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons chicken drippings
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons chicken drippings from skillet. Leave brown particles in skillet. Add flour. Stir on medium heat until browned. Add salt and pepper. Stir in milk.
- Bring to boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add a little more milk, if gravy is too thick, Serve hot, unstrained.
- Tip: Adding a cold liquid to a hot Crisco and flour base, then stirring until it comes to a boil guarantees a smooth sauce. There will be some tasty, crunchy bits in this gravy, however -- the fried particles from the pan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had some leftover turkey meatballs that needed some gravy, and this was perfect. Since I didn't have chicken drippings, I used a combo of butter/olive oil and a little chicken bouillon powder. Worked great. The meatballs were full of spices, so I wanted a milder gravy and the pepper was just the right flavor.