Pepper Steak Salad With Mango, Avocado and Jalapeno Vinaigrette
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Recipe adapted from American National Cattle Women, Inc.
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt (optional)
- 2 boneless top loin beef, steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick (strip, about 8 ounces each)
- 2 -3 roasted jalapeno peppers (see above)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 mango, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 small avocado, cut lengthwise into 8 slices
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons shaved firm Cotija cheese (use vegetable peeler to shave) or 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (use vegetable peeler to shave)
- Preheat charcoal grill to medium heat.
- Place the jalapeno peppers on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill uncovered, for about 11 to 13 minutes or until evenly blistered and blackened. Place in a food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes until skins are loosened.
- Press black pepper and salt evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally (7 to 10 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness). Remove from grill and let stand while preparing vinaigrette.
Meanwhile prepare Jalapeno Vinaigrette:
- Remove and discard skins, seeds and membranes from jalapeno peppers. Place peppers, lime juice, cilantro, water and salt in food processor container. Cover and pulse on and off until combined. With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until well blended.
- Arrange salad greens on serving platter. Fan the mango and avocado slices over greens.
- Carve steaks into slices and season with salt, to taste. Arrange over salad. Top with shallots and drizzle with vinaigrette. Sprinkle with cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The dressing is not at all spicy, but the jalapenos add a nice flavor to it. In fact, I may just make the dressing by itself for other salads.<br/><br/>Overall the flavors from the steak, the mango and avocado blended so nicely and complimented each other, however, I have to make a note that this would be better during the summer when our temps are well into the 100s.2Reply