Pennsylvania Dutch Frizzled Beef (Creamed Chipped)
- Ready In:
2 1/2 cups
- Melt butter in a frying pan.
- Brown the dried beef in hot butter.
- Sprinkle flour over beef and continue cooking until beef and flour are well-browned.
- Stirring constantly, slowly pour in milk and bring to a boil.
- Serve on toast, noodles or mashed potatoes.
Questions & Replies
It has made my day to find your recipe! I have been making Chipped Beef for decades but it is your use of the word "frizzled" that has brought a smile. My mother, born 1918, called this dish "Frizzled Chipped Beef". I have never heard anyone else use that word. Our family has lived in the Baltimore area for generations, which, as you know, is just down the road from Lancaster County. I have not found any connection with the Amish or even Pennsylvania, but I have discovered other quaint words mom used are from the Pennsylvania Dutch. You have given me another piece of the puzzle to understanding the people I am descended from. Thank you!