Penne With Turkey Meatballs
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1⁄4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1 lb ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups tomato sauce
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- In a large bowl add bread crumbs, milk and mix until well combined.
- Mix in eggs and 1/2 cup Romano cheese and mix well.
- Add turkey and gently combine, being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into golf-size balls.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat.
- When almost smoking, add meatballs and without moving or turning the meat allow it to brown for about 3 minutes.
- Turn meatballs and brown other side.
- Continue to cook until all sides are golden brown.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and allow meatballs to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and keep warm on stove, be careful not to overhandle the meatballs since they are soft and fragile.
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of salted water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta, do not rinse pasta with water.
- Remove meatballs from sauce and place in serving bowl.
- Pour some tomato sauce over meatballs, leaving 1 cup sauce in skillet.
- Place the cooked penne into the skillet with the remaining sauce and toss well.
- Pour pasta into a large serving bowl and serve alongside of meatballs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!