Penne With Sausage in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages (casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -3 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (use a tablespoon of tomato paste!)
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes (drained and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 18% table cream or 1/4 cup whipping cream
- black pepper
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add in the sausage meat; cook breaking up with a spoon until the meat is lightly browned (about 12 minutes) using a slotted spoon remove to a bowl and leave some fat in the skillet.
- Add in the onion, chili flakes, basil and oregano; saute for about 5 minutes (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking).
- Add in tomato paste and stir 1 minute.
- Add in the wine and simmer for 6-8 minutes over medium-low heat, or until it almost evaporates.
- Add in the cooked sausage meat along with the crushed and chopped drained tomatoes.
- Add in 1 tablespoon salt.
- Simmer uncovered for about 1-1/2 hours over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon occasionally.
- Season with more salt if desired and black pepper.
- Stir in the cream and heat through over low heat.
- Just before the sauce if finished cooking, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until just al dente (do not rinse the pasta with water).
- Serve the sauce with cooked pasta, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This sauce was delicious!! We made it without the sausage (vegetarian style) and I felt the crushed red pepper was a bit spicy. We used only 1 heaping teaspoon. Next time, I'll cut back a little bit. Very flavorful and very good, though!!! We ate up the leftovers very quickly and my DH would like to have it again next week.