Pecos River Bowl of Red
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 2 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 lbs chili-style ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons red chili powder, hot
- 4 tablespoons red chili powder, mild
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Melt the lat in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are clear.
- Combine the meat garlic, ground chiles and cumin. Add to onion, breaking up lumps and cook stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly browned.
- Stir in the water and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very tender. Add water, if needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Sorry Food.com, you keep changing the site, and it is just not easy to use. I'm off to Pepperplate.</p>