Pecan Butter Horn Cookies
photo by Lynne L.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- powdered sugar
- Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together in mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water stir in egg yolks, sour cream and vanilla.
- Blend into flour mixture.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400' degrees F.
- Beat egg whites until foamy gradually add sugar beat until stiff.
- Fold in nuts and almond extract.
- Divide dough into 4 parts.
- On a board sprinkled with powdered sugar roll each out into 9 inch circles.
- Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Spread 1 heaping teaspoonful meringue on each.
- Roll up beginning at wide end.
- Bake on lightly greased baking sheet.
- 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool Roll in powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Only need one batch of filling for two batches of dough. I baked 12 minutes minutes for that little crunch. Leave dough in frig while you work on each rollout. Only use regular dried yeast packet, not fast acting. Recipe does not use whole packet so need to measure. Closest taste to my childhood Christmas memory of Christmas butter horns.