Pearl (Israeli) Couscous With Garam Masala and Pine Nuts
photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup israeli couscous
- Heat a medium skillet over med-high heat and add pine nuts. Swirl in pan until they begin to brown. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and saute shallot and carrot for 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and garam masala.
- Add broth to pan and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Reduce heat and cover pan. Simmer 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Put in serving bowl and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really enjoyed this delicious dish! I have had Israeli couscous in my pantry for a while now but didn't know what to do with it. This recipe solved my problem! I really enjoyed the blend of flavours in this dish and it was very easy to make, with little attention. My kind of dish! Made for ZWT8. Thanks again Mikekey! :)
I used more shallot than called for and unfortunately when I went to measure out the garam masala I only had 1/2 tablespoon but it was still delicious - the 3 of us gobbled up all 4 serves. The only change I would make is simmer for thew full 10 minutes instead of the 8 that I did as I mine was still a little moist when I flaked but this was my first time cooking pearl couscous but we thoroughly enjoyed and will be making pearl couscous again. Thank you Makekey, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 15.
see 8 more reviews