Pear, Blue Cheese, Walnut and Bacon Salad
- Ready In:
For the vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh limes or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Dijon mustard or 1 1/4 teaspoons whole grain prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon maple syrup or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons finely minced green onions
- salt and pepper
For the walnuts
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash cayenne or 1 dash hot smoked paprika
For the salad
- 1⁄2 lb arugula, mesclun, romaine, mache, spinach (whatever may be your preference)
- 3 firm bartlett pears, washed, cored and sliced into very thin wedges (skin remaining)
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (gorgonzola, Stilton, etc.)
- 2 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and well drained
- 1⁄2 - 1 lb cooked sliced chicken (optional)
- Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients until well blended; set aside.
- In a small frying pan set on a medium heat, melt the butter, stir in the maple syrup or honey and then stir in the walnuts. Continue to heat the walnuts, stirring continuously, for approximately 2-3 minutes or until they are fragrant, caramelized and lightly browned. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Place the greens in a large salad bowl or, if individual servings are preferred, distribute them equally among 6 salad plates. Sprinkle over the pears, blue cheese and walnuts. Place over chicken then drizzle with dressing and toss.
- Note: I find having the chicken warmed is superior to cold chicken.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation