Pear-Blackberry Pie With Cardamom
- Ready In:
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 4 fresh pears, unpeeled (Bartlett)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Core and slice the pears.
- In a large bowl, mix the pears and remaining filling ingredients together.
- Pour filling into prepared pie shell.
- Make the topping: add the sugar, flour, and cardamom to a food processor; pulse to combine.
- Add in the butter; mix until the topping comes together into crumbs.
- Add crumbs to the top of the pie, starting in the middle and spreading to 1 ½ inches from the edge.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes (tent crust edges with foil if start to get too brown).
- Let the pie cool completely before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A hit at Thanksgiving! I’d add a pinch of salt to the cornstarch mixture and a little lemon juice to the fruit to avoid blandness. And I think I’d make a lattice crust with 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom. I served with whipped heavy cream to which I had added 1/4 cup sour cream, vanilla, and 1/4 t cardamom. I love that flavor!