Pear and Cranberry Tart
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 firm but ripe pears, unpeeled, cored, and sliced into very thin wedges (such as Anjou)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 piece frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cover cranberries with very hot water and let stand 10 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add pears and 1 tbsp sugar, cooking 2 to 4 minutes or until softened but not falling apart. Reserve.
- On a floured counter using a floured rolling pin, roll pastry into an approximately10 x 10-inch square. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Prick all over with a fork. Place pears in the centre of pastry and flatten them out into an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with cranberries. Fold pastry edges up over the edge of pears. Brush edges of pastry with beaten egg, then sprinkle sugar over pastry and pears. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (175°C) and bake another 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are puffed and golden.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!