Peanut Butter Swirl Bars
This is one of my husbands favorite recipes to whip up and give to new neighbors, take to a pot luck, or hoard at home with a bowl of ice cream.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup crunchy peanut butter (we like Jiff)
- 1⁄3 cup softened margarine
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together peanut butter, margarine, brown and white sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Sift or mix together flour, baking powder and salt and add to mixture.
- Spread in a greased 9x13 pan and sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
- Bake for 3 minutes.
- Remove pan and swirl melted chocolate chips through peanut butter mixture with a butter knife. We make it look like a huge serpentine snake going through the mixture, as opposed to circle swirls.
- Return pan to oven and bake 15 minutes more.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Um, yum! These are so good, and I love that they are made with things I usually have on hand. I used butter because I never have margarine on hand, and for the chocolate chip layer, I used dark chocolate and some butterscotch chips that I had on hand. I probably used a little more than one cup of the combined chips. I was afraid when I spread the peanut butter layer in the pan that it was too thin, but it baked up very nicely. I used store-brand peanut butter and it turned out just fine. Make a pan of these, pour yourself a glass of ice cold milk, and enjoy. You won't regret it!Reply
These do taste good, but I had problems with the posted cooking time. The bars simply weren't done after 18 minutes in the oven. When I checked the bars they were still soupy wet. After 20 more minutes the center was set and the edges almost too crisp to eat. I did use a glass pan slightly smaller than 9X13 so they may have been a little thicker. I will try again another time because they do taste good & I almost always have the ingredients on hand.Reply
see 1 more