- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 6 -8 peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup peach preserves
- 1⁄2 - 1 tablespoon peach brandy (optional) or 1/2-1 tablespoon peach nectar (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 -2 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Spray a 11 x 9-inch pan with Pam (or grease pan).
- To prepare filling combine first 4 ingredients (peaches - almond extract) in a large bowl, crushing peaches to help release juices. In a small cup or bowl combine 3 tablespoons of the juice with cornstarch. Stir cornstarch mixture into peaches. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- To prepare topping, combine first 7 ingredients (oatmeal - ginger) in a large bowl. Cut in butter with two knives or pastry blender. Stir in vanilla and almonds (if using).
- Sprinkle topping over peaches, pressing down slightly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until topping is brown and peaches bubbly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Oh my, was this dee-lish!!! Was out of peach brandy so used Amaretto & dash Grand Marnier, added a little fresh lemon juice and peel too; was out of preserves too; otherwise followed the recipe. Oh, and I never bother to peel peaches unless the peel is bitter. Hubby and I enjoyed this tonite. Thank you Ellie, will be making this again.
My two guys gave this 10 fingers up and I had to use canned peaches! They simply love it and ate almost half of it for dessert tonight. The aroma coming from the oven is scrumptious and it's easy to put together. I skipped the brandy and nectar as well as the almonds. I can tell that I'll be making this a lot. Thanks ellie, this one is a real winner in this house.
Hot out of the oven, topped with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, what could be better!! This peach crisp is true summer time comfort food. I made exactly as written, right down to the crystallized ginger which I used 1 tablespoon as I was not sure how this would taste. I will use the full 2 tablespoons next time to see if I can taste it more. Also I liked the addition of almonds, I used slivered. They gave this crisp a nice crunch in the topping. Ellie_ Thank you so much for the recipe, my whole family thanks you too and our tummies. I will be making this every year from now on as many times as I can get GOOD fresh peaches. OH soooo GOOD! Made for Zaar Tag 2006