photo by Graciebonica
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 4 cups chopped peaches
- 4 cups chopped cantaloupe
- 6 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 1. Mix the cantaloupe and peaches in a heavy pot and bring to a boil---a nice, steady boil, not too high, and stir frequently.
- 2. Add the sugar and lemon juice and cook until the conserve is thick.
- 3.Add the nutmeg, salt, orange peel and almonds and continue to cook for three minutes longer.
- 4. Pour into hot jars and seal.
- 5. Process in a water-bath canner for ten minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in southern California, about 14 miles from the Pacific Ocean. I'm a retired (early) nurse. I am also a clergy person. <br />I enjoy traveling, but haven't had the time for much, and my latest craft/project is restoring old lamps. My husband makes the rounds at thrift shops for used and abused lamps, and challenges me to revive them. He has found some doozies, but I've yet to find one I couldn't reclaim. <br />I am married for 30 years, have five children and four grandchildren, a Pekingese, three Chihuahuas and three cats. <br />I enjoy gardening, and even in the tiny back yard of my town house, I manage to grow tomatoes and green beans each year, along with as many flowering plants as I can squeeze into the limited space. I enjoy cooking for people and sharing recipes. My all-time favorite cookbook is Betty Crocker's Cookie Book. It is a classic! <br />If I had a month off and money to burn, I'd spend the time in San Francisco---my favorite city. I've definitely left my heart there!</p>