Pea Soup With Sausage - Crock Pot
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 10mins
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut lengthwise into halves, then cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat small fry pan over medium heat.
- Add sausage, cook 5 to 8 minutes or until browned.
- Drain well.
- Combine sausage and remaining ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until peas are tender.
- Turn off heat.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Cover and let stand 15 minutes to thicken.
Join The Conversation
This was very much enjoyed by my husband. I have to dispute the liquid amount, though--and the cooking time! I had to add about 1 1/2 cups water b/c the peas had absorbed most of the broth about halfway thru cooking time--added water & turned up the temp to high to get those peas to cook! It eventually worked out, but next time will add that water, and then I think the cooking time of 5 hours on low should be sufficient. I also used turkey kielbasa, which hubby very much enjoyed. I also added salt, black pepper & used oregano & thyme for the marjoram. Thanks for such a flavorful recipe!
Another winner as usual Derf!! I used turkey kielbasa as that is what I had. No celery (allergy). SUPER yummy. I also used stock, I don't have canned broth. Needed about another cup of liquid. I cooked mine on hi for 4 hours. Kids loved it. This didn't make as much as I was expecting (no leftovers) but it was well worth the effort (LOL). THANK YOU!!!! UPDATE July 10, 2008: We had this for dinner tonight, and had the in-laws and Aunt over too. I used 8 oz. of bulk italian sausage, again no celery, and carmelized the onions with the sausage as I browned it. My sausage was frozen, so I cut it into cubes and then browned it, this was great! One of my daughters had 4 bowls! Again, this does not make a lot, but is so yummy!!! UPDATE DEC. 28, 2008: Well this time we made it with Sinai sausage from Costco, I just cut it into little cubes. VERY yummy!! My BIL liked it alot too! This is so far our favorite pea soup recipe!!