Paula Deen's Pinto Beans
photo by True Texas
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 10mins
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 lb ham hock
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion, leave whole
- salt, to taste
- garlic powder
- Wash beans and soak overnight in cold water.
- Drain the beans and dump into a slow cooker.
- Stir in chili powder and oregano. If using ham hock: Pre-soak ham in a seperate pot, for a least 2 hours, or refrigerate up to 24 hours. Cook ham hock on top of oven for about 30 minutes, save the liquid and add to your beans.
- Add the ham hock beans and more liquid to cover beans.
- Add the onion (whole) to your beans then season with salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Cook on high for at least 5 hours or until beans are tender.
- Serve up beans with some of the ham hock in them and cornbread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I tsp chili powder won't cut it if you want flavorful beans! I add about 3 Tablespoons to the pot with about 1 Tablespoon of garlic salt. s&p. I also add about 1/8 cup tomato sauce or 1tsp tomato paste which ever one you prefer. I add my ham hock at the same time as the onion. Right into the pot so that it can cook in real good with the beans. Sometimes I use smoked turkey legs! This version is tasteful and not bland at all! Have a good day!