Paula Deen's One-Eyed Sailor
This looks like a delicious breakfast dish that Paula prepared on her show recently.
- Ready In:
- 2 slices thick country bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- hot sauce, dash (recommended -- Tabasco)
- Worcestershire sauce, dash
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- For cheese sauce, in a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the flour.
- Cook until smooth and bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the warm milk and stir until combined.
- Stir in the seasonings and cheese.
- Constantly stir until cheese is smooth, thick and melted.
- Set aside and keep warm to serve with the eggs.
- For eggs:.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cookie cutter, or mold, cut a nice hole in the center of the bread.
- Butter both sides of bread and place in a cast iron saute pan over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the holes and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the egg starts to set, flip over and continue cooking the other side until set.
- Serve eggs with cheese sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made these egg sandwiches for DH's late night supper and he loved them. Made two and than he asked for one more. The cheese sauce is creamy and rich. I did not add the cayenne pepper but did add 3 drops of hot sauce. Used Brownberrys country white bread and it worked perfectly. I made the cheese sauce first and kept it warm while making the eggs. Thank you for posting Lainey, will be making these eggs again!1Reply