Pata De Cerdo (Canary Island Style Pork Roast)
photo by canarygirl
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika (I like smoky)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs pork sirloin roast (bone in, the roast should have a fair amount of fat on top)
- 2 -3 crusty French baguettes, sliced lengthwise
- Using a mortar and pestle, mash garlic cloves and sea salt.
- Once creamy, add paprika, thyme, oregano and olive oil; combine well.
- Rub roast all over with this mixture.
- Place uncovered in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven.
- Bake 3 to 4 hours or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Slice into very thin slices.
- Serve on crusty baguettes, lightly salted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
i made this today and loved it! i love pork but tend to overcook everytime. i did the same today and the meat was dry(my fault). i had added apple juice to the roasting pan to help steam so i took the juices, shredded the meat and drizzled the meat with juices. my hubby added apple cinnamon bbq sauce to his sandwich and it was delicious.
This was very good; I'll definitely be making it again. I think next time I will use much less oil, because I don't think it really needs it, and it would be easier to rub in the spices. Doing it according to the recipe, I found it hard to taste the spices. My pork loin was only 1.7 lbs (as opposed to 3 as called for), so I only let it cook about an hour and a half; I used an instant meat thermometer to check the temp. Also, next time maybe use a rack? That might dry it out, though, so I'm not sure.... Great recipe, and it made great sandwiches and burrritos!