Pastry for a Double Pie Crust
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
2 pie crusts
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces & chilled
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, cut into small pieces & chilled
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
- Place the dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the chilled butter pieces and pulse 5 times.
- Add the chilled shortening pieces and pulse 5 times.
- Add the sour cream and pulse 5 times.
- Place mixture into a large bowl. Sprinkle 3 tbsp of ice water over the mixture and press down with a spatula until the dough sticks together. Add more water if necessary.
- Divide the dough into 2 balls, flatten into disks. Dust lightly with flour, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough, place in pie plate and shape. Refrigerate another 30 minutes before filling or baking.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I enjoy cooking, especially baking. I am married, no children though I have a dog Chance, whose internal clock must be Swiss-made as he knows what time dinner should be and is quite the taskmaster if I'm not at least in the kitchen at the appointed time. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">