Pastel de Tres Leches Three-Milk Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 10 eggs, kept at room temperature for 1/2 hour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 cups chopped strawberries, 1/2 inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 2 tablespoons brandy, mezcal or 2 tablespoons other liquor, of your choice
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a jellyroll baking pan (15x10) and line it with waxed paper oiled on both sides.
- Separate the yolks and whites in 2 bowls.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Beat the yolks until light and lemon colored, about 20 minutes.
- The consistency should be very thick, and when you lift the beaters, the mixture should fall in one solid mass, known as the"ribbon stage.
- "Add 1/2 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Add the vanilla and beat 3 minutes more.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar slowly until it makes a meringue.
- Add the whites to the yolks 1/3 at a time and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Add the flour all at once and fold in.
- Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the cake comes away from the sides of the pan.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes, then remove it from the pan and place on a clean tea towel that has been dusted with confectioner's sugar.
- Remove the waxed paper by rubbing the top of the paper with a dry cloth all over the surface and peeling off.
- Cover the cake with another tea towel and roll up the cake lengthwise in the towels, like a jellyroll, while still warm.
- For the filling: Whip the cream and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Add the confectioner's sugar.
- Add the strawberries to the whipped cream and fold in.
- For the soaking liquid: Mix the milks with a whisk.
- Add the liquor.
- For the frosting: In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until soft and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and mix for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the confectioner's sugar until it is well incorporated.
- Add the milk.
- To assemble the cake: Unroll the cake and remove the tea towel from the top layer.
- Spread the whipped cream mixture on the cake.
- Using the bottom as leverage, roll it up lengthwise.
- Transfer the cake to a serving tray seam side down.
- Make holes in the cake with a skewer and drizzle the soaking liquid, slowly, letting it absorb bit by bit.
- Cover the cake with the frosting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is an wonderful recipe. It did take some time and it was my first time making pastel de tres leches. I ended up making it as a square layer cake instead of the roll because I had so much filling. I thought the frosting was too sweet. I added some whipped cream and still thought it a bit sweet. Next time, I will use just the whipped cream for the frosting. I made this for as a birthday cake for my Nanny who is from Mexico. She loved it!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a self-taught home cook who reads cookbooks like a novel. Then I try out all different nationalities of recipes, especially the more complicated ones...I love a challenge! I entertain often and enjoy cooking for others more than for myself. If my friends and family are happy eating my cooking, then I'm ecstatic!