Pasta With Sardine Sauce (Pasta Con Sardine Siciliano)
photo by Thorsten
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄2 lb sardine fillet
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄8 cup seedless raisin (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh oregano (dried herbs may be used)
- 5 fresh basil leaves (dried herbs may be used)
- parmesan cheese (fresh is best) or romano cheese, grated (fresh is best)
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb pasta
- Cut fish into 1" pieces.
- Saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat until golden.
- Add sardines and continue to saute and stir until almost a paste (approximately 7 minutes).
- Add tomato paste and 3 to 5 tomato paste cans of water to the fish and bring to boil.
- Add herbs (leaves only)and raisins.
- Reduce heat, add salt and pepper; simmer until thick.
- Place cold water into large pot and start to the boil.
- Boil pasta until al dente, drain and toss with sauce.
- Serve with grated cheese on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very tasty italian pasta dish. I followed the recipe, except that I used fresh tomatoes, which I have had on hand. The raisins add just the right amount of sweetness for the tomatoes. The sauce is very easy to made and the sardines gave that typical sicilian feeling. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.
see 3 more reviews