Pasta With Eggplant and Pork
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron thread, about 24
- 1 medium firm eggplant
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 hot chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb short-cut pasta, whatever shape you like
- pecorino romano cheese
- Place chicken stock and saffron threads in a small pot. Bring to a simmer to infuse and concentrate flavor.
- Meanwhile, peel half the skin off the eggplant. Dice very finely into 1/8-inch pieces. Sprinkle with salt and reserve.
- Place a large pot of water over high heat for the pasta.
- Heat olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add pork and lightly brown while finely crumbling it into tiny bits. Season with fennel, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, thyme and a little chili pepper.
- Squeeze any liquid from the eggplant then stir it into the pork. Cook about 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently until eggplant is tender. Deglaze with white wine, stir a minute then add reduced saffon-infused stock – about 1 cup. Stir in cream and simmer over low heat while pasta cooks.
- Cook pasta to al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup starchy cooking liquid, then drain and toss the pasta with the sauce, adding liquid as necessary to combine. Toss 1-2 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls topped with freshly grated Pecorino and a bit more thyme for garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love to cook, but hate to measure ... so I pretty much guess at everything :) </p> 114807933"