Pasta With Chickpeas
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary (2 inches each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped (or 3 cups canned tomatoes or 28-ounce can, undrained)
- 3 1⁄2 cups chickpeas, cooked (or two 15 ounce cans)
- black pepper
- 1 lb pasta, short chunky
- 2⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh tomato, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a well-seasoned skillet or nonstick saucepan (I used a dutch oven, so I could puree the sauce right in the pan using my hand blender), and saute the onions, garlic and rosemary on low eat until the onions are soft - about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and half of the chickpeas and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary springs and discard. If you have a hand blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Otherwise, use a blender. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Return the sauce to the pan (if you'd removed it for blending), add the remaining chickpeas, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
- The original recipe suggests tossing the pasta and sauce together for serving, but we served them separately.
- Pass the feta and chopped tomatoes (if desired) at the table.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!