Pasta With Chicken in Creamy Garlic Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2 cups shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 -3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 sliced mushrooms, sauteed
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- Boil pasta in lightly salted water.
- Fry chicken in canola until lightly browned, set aside.
- In large pot sauté garlic in butter or margarine, do not brown.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to garlic and butter or margarine and mix to form a roux.
- Slowly add milk, whisking to prevent lumps.
- Add parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat stirring often until sauce thickens.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, and peas to the sauce.
- Drain cooked pasta and mix into sauce.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I only gave 4 stars...but I made it 5 stars. Followed recipe exactly EXCEPT I added 1/2 cube of chicken bouillon to the rue, and 1 tsp of Epicure herb and garlic dip mix (which includes dried chives), to the rue as well. Yum. Simmered the mixture down so it was still fairly light and not too thick because it does thicken up as it cools. Served with shrimp and fresh made bacon bits that I added just before serving. Skipped the peas. Total hit with everyone....even my daughter...who picked all the shrimp out!
OMG this dish hit the spot! I used cut up pieces of thighs because that's all I had and I seasoned them real good. At 1st it looks as if the sauce isn't going to thicken up but it does after awhile. If yours doesn't add a couple pinches of cornstarch. I also added a few pinches of chicken bouillon (chicken flavor powder) and it made it soooo much more tastier!! Served over angel hair.