Pasta With Broccoli & Italian Sausage
- Ready In:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Clean broccoli & separate florets from the stems. Remove the tough peel from the stems & cut into cubes. Place in steamer & steam to desired tenderness. Reserve the broccoli water.
- Remove the casings from the sausage. Heat the olive oil to medium high and brown the sausage flattening & chopping until all is browned.
- Add garlic, fennel seed & red pepper flakes. Cook until garlic is pale brown. Remove from the heat.
- Add steamed broccoli & 1/2 cup of the broccoli water to the sausage.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Scoop out the pasta & add to the sausage & broccoli along with 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Reheat the sausage, broccoli & pasta & stir until the water mostly boils away & forms a nice sauce. 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- If too dry add more water from pasta &/or broccoli.
- Grate 1/2 ounce of pecorino romano cheese over pasta reserving the remaing cheese for tableside.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Can be reheated in microwave. Just sprinkle with a little water before heating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is truly a quick and easy meal with very good results. IMO a full pound of pasta would make the dish very pasta heavy; I cooked a 13 oz. box of w.wheat penne and didn't use it all. I also used cooked sausage (turkey kielbasa), sliced. I'm not sure kielbasa and fennel are a great combo, maybe if I'd used the sweet italian sausage called for I'd be giving 5 stars. I'll definitely make this again.