pasta, chicken and sage casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, coarsely chopped (approx. 12 oz.)
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups tomato sauce (reduced sodium, if you have it)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb fusilli
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the oil over moderate heat and add the celery, onions and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the chicken and stir for about another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, sage, salt and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, about another 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to package directions or until just tender.
- Remove from heat and drain well.
- Add the pasta to the skillet with the chicken and vegetables and stir gently to mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a 13" x 9" baking dish or individual baking dishes.
- Sprinkle cheese over the mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned and the sauce is bubbling hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!