photo by Nictherunner
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 cups finely grated parsnips
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries (or any dried fruit)
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- Sift flours, spices& Baking soda into large bowl.
- Combine sugar, eggs, oil& vanilla essence.
- Add parsnip, coconut& fruit to egg mix.
- Fold into flours, spices& soda with wooden spoon until JUST mixed.
- Bake 180 for 1 hour in a well greased 23cm cake tin.
- Ice with cream cheese icing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Ouuuuuuuuuh, this is GOOD! Not in a million years would you guess that parsnips are in here. It's soft, fluffy, moist and has a thin crisp shell. We didn't bother with icing and didn't miss it. Only changes I made were to skip the coconut and sub chopped dried plums for the sultanas. I "grated" the parsnips with the food processor until the pieces were about the size of raisins. I will process it even more finely next time. I wasn't sure what mixed spices were so I made a teaspoon's worth of a mix of nutmeg, cloves and allspice. I baked it in a 10" springform pan as I didn't have a large enough cake tin and it all worked beautifully, as promised. Great cake, Lee.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I wouldn't call myself a people person but tend to find myself doing a lot of entertaining in the form of planned and unplanned meals for both friends, family, and strangers. That being the case recipies have become a form of light reading! I would love to spend a week at some flash hotel where someone else did all the cooking and cleaning up THEN I'd nick off with all their great ideas.