Parsley's Stuffed Peppers
photo by cookin mimi
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 6 -7 large green bell peppers or 6 -7 large red bell peppers, I use a combo
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce, DIVIDED
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- salt, to taste
- mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly grease a deep large baking pan.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Place hollowed peppers cut side up in the prepared baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble beef and pork with the onion and garlic; drain off fat and return to the skillet.
- Add (to the cooked meat mixture in the skillet) the crushed tomatoes, about HALF of the tomato sauce, chopped parsley, oregano, basil, sugar, marjoram, and pepper. Allow to come to a soft boil.
- Add the beef broth and uncooked instant rice. Stir well. Bring to a soft boil; reduce heat.
- Cover skillet and simmer gently for 15 minutes; stirring once or twice.
- Stir again and add desired amount of salt; if needed.
- Generously fill each hollowed bell pepper. If any leftover filling exists, just pour more over each.
- Top each with the RESERVED tomato sauce.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, uncover (and IF using the optional mozzarella, sprinkle it on now) and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes. (sometimes I put a bit more sauce over the cheese).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just got "a hankering" for stuffed peppers, and had never tried making them. I found this recipe that looked easy and used items that I had on hand. The stuffed peppers were delicious! My husband loved them and they were easy to make....Thanks, Parsley, for posting this recipe that I will be making again and again!!
A classic. This was a very easy, basic dinner for us. Takes me back to Mom's cooking. The only change that I made was to par-boil two of the peppers, as my honey likes his with absolutely no crunch left to them (ewww). Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly as written. I froze the remaining three, and they will serve as an easy out on a busy night. Thanks for the memory, Parsley!