Parmesan Crusted Cheese and Ham Macaroni
- Ready In:
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 14 ounces macaroni or 14 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 5 ounces ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking all the time. Add the bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer very gently for about 5 mins until smooth and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, remove the bay leaf and add the mascarpone, mustard and cheddar. Mix until smooth, then season. Cover the surface of the sauce with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta, stir to separate and cook for 1 min less than the time suggested on the packaging. Drain thoroughly and return to the pan.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta and add the ham and parsley. Mix thoroughly and tip into a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan and scatter over the pasta. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 20 mins until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)