Park City Cashew Chicken
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, 1/4 finely chopped, 3/4 thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (like McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped or 2 -3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil with the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. When butter melts into the oil, add the 1/4 cup chopped onions and cook 2 minutes. Add rice and cook 3 minutes more. Add stock and cover the pot.
- Bring to a rapid boil. Once stock is boiling, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (17 - 18 minutes).
- While the rice cooks, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, then the chicken. Season chicken with grill seasoning. Lightly brown chicken on both sides then move off to one side of the pan. Add the 3/4 cup thinly sliced onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Cook 2 - 3 minutes then mix the vegetables and meat together and add chipotles and cumin. Toss to coat.
- Glaze mixture with honey and syrup and turn heat off. Add cilantro or parsley and nuts.
- Top the rice with the cashew chicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I did this recipe exactly as listed and my rice never cooked right. Also, this recipe is SO super spicy...which would be great for those who like spice...it was extremely overpowering to me. None of my family ate it, but that's just us. If you like spicy, try it and put a review in, I'd like to know what others think. Thank you for sharing. LA :-)