Papa Charles' Sweet Potato Pie
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 unbaked deep dish 9-inch pie shell (store bought or home made..you decide)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt salt
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 -4 medium sweet potatoes (I use red yams for the beautiful color)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel, pare and then boil potatoes in a covered pot with a dash of salt in the water for about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Mash and blend with and electric mixer. (Remove "strings" by repeatedly rinsing the blades of your mixer under water until a smooth texture is achieved -- this may take several times).
- Combine both sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves, and vanilla with sweet potatoes, mix until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings per your taste.
- After sweet potatoes have cooled, beat eggs in seperate bowl and add to sweet potato mix.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Pour into pie shell. (depending on size of sweet potatoes, you may have enough filling for 2 pies!).
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, or chill before serving. Enjoy topped with whipped cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This pie is wonderful! Sweet and rich and spicy. Your method of removing the "strings" from the sweet potatoes worked very well and my filling was smooth and creamy. I made 3 small mini pies and had just the right amount of filling for that. Thanks for sharing a great recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011
As much as I love pumpkin pie, I like those dark colored sweet potatoes even more, & in a pie, they're outstanding! Your recipe is just wonderful, & the 2 of us thoroughly enjoyed eating the whole thing (though not at one sitting, of course)! Even had a piece of it with some ice cream (thank you for the tip)! I'll be making this one again & again! Thanks for sharing it!Made this especially for my vegetarian son & DIL & it was a big hit with all of us!