Panko Stuffed Mushrooms - Asian Style
photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 22 white button mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water chestnut, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, plus extra for greasing the pan and garnish
- 8 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms.
- Chop up the stems and two(2) of the whole mushrooms and set them aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in the peanut oil and sauté the chopped mushroom for about 3 minutes, until some moisture has released.
- Add the diced water chestnuts or daikon and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer.
- At this point, lots of moisture should be released from the mushrooms.
- Add the rice wine vinegar or mirin, salt, and white pepper, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the panko in 1/2-cup batches and stir, alternately adding the sesame oil until all the bread crumbs are moist.
- If needed, add a coiple tbsp of water if panko seems overly dry.
- The mixture should be crumbly but, when you press some between your fingers, it should hold together.
- Mix in the scallions and adjust the salt to taste.
- Grease a baking sheet with a little sesame oil.
- Stuff each mushroom with the filling and place on the baking sheet.
- To stuff them, place a little of the filling into the mushroom crevice and then add another tablespoon on top of that, pressing firmly to form a mound.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the mushrooms and drizzle with a little sesame oil, if desired.
- Garnish with extra chopped scallions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sorry to say I wasn't mad about these. Only change I made was to use white wine vinegar. Because of that I'm not leaving stars, as I've never had rice wine vinegar. To me these were a little bland. They had a zing from the vinegar which I couldn't decide if I liked or not. Overall just not a champ for me.
These *are* tasty even for meat eaters! This was my first time making stuffed mushrooms and these had lots of flavor even when compared with the butter-mayo-cheese artery stuffers! For one pound of button mushrooms (approx. 22) I only needed half a cup of panko and no water. These would be great appetizers for a Chinese dinner party because they can be prepared in advance.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>